Wednesday, September 7, 2011

If You're Going to be a Bear, Be a Grizzly.

Introductions are in need.
Yo, I'm Stevie Rae Stephens

I am a Junior at CSUMB, I transferred last semester, it was a pain, this was my third college in three years, music recording major, singer/songwriter, I'm a security guard at the BBC.

I just went to type "must" for the second time and instead typed "music" a second time. This is where my head is. I knew this semester would sucker punch me in the stomach at some point. That point was today actually.

Let's backtrack to before I knew what the hell was going on in my life. 

8.24.11

Yeah.. A for effort.

Sampling? Why yes, sampling is discrete episodes over time. The higher the sampling rate, the less choppy the audio will sound. Basically, the line will become closer to the waveform as the sample rate goes up and there will be less interrupting blurts of silence. 

The Nyquist theory? For accurate signal reconstruction, sampling frequency should be twice the bandwidth of the source.... Thus Cd's are recorded at 44.1 kHz

There is no such thing as Bit Rate or Sample Depth. So don't get confused.

Bit Depth determines the accuracy of the amplitude measurements per sample. Samples are assigned values of bits. 

SATURATE THE BIT DEPTH... this seemed to be a confusing phrase. If I understand it correct, it just means that we should use up as much of the assigned bit depth as you can to be able to capture the dynamics of whatever you are recording. But I could be wrong.

We will record at 24 bits because anything more is a waste :) 16 bits allows for a dynamic range of 96 db and 24 bits allows for 144 db...

Thoughts
This was the first class in the last 3 semesters that remotely terrified me. It was great :D Bring it on.
2 years ago at Montana State University, I was studying music technology as well, and I was a beast. 

  • If you're going to get A's, get a 4.0
  • If you're going to be called a crazy Californian, live up to the expectations
  • If you're going to spend time recording music, SPEND ALL YOUR TIME.
  • If you're going to take notes, use all the freakin colors. Get that shit laminated, they were so good!
  • If you're going to learn one program, learn them all.
  • And if you're going to pay a fortune to learn it... Learn it until you're a Bing commercial. 
  • If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly. 

When did that stop being me? I have no idea, but I'm back, I'm crazy, and about to do work.

No comments:

Post a Comment